Notifications
Clear all

Ritteri Nen

(@powers)
Trusted

got him from the lfs about a week ago and my clarki clowns are already hosting i have heard that these nems can eat fish? so whats the difference in it hosting them or deciding to eat them? im guessing that when the store worker said eat fish he was talking very little things like chromies or just like brine shrimp?

Topic starter Posted : 05/02/2012 10:39 pm
(@briang)
Honorable

I believe any anemone will eat a fish given the opportunity. The species of anemone you speak of can be found in the most magnificent of colors and patterns. Congrats on the new fellow, they are not one of the easier anemones so be aware of any signs it may give you that could point toward I'll health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2012 11:06 pm
(@powers)
Trusted

anything specific i need to look out for?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/02/2012 11:20 pm
(@mukymuk)
Reputable

They won't (can't) eat clownfish that have acclimated to them. But just about anything else is fair game. They'll eat anything from brine to 1-3" fish depending on the size. You'll want to feed it every 3-5 days. Whole silversides are good, but mix it up with other seafood. Err on the smallish side in the beginning.

Ritteri's generally don't ship or acclimate very well. They have a very high mortality rate in captivity. There's litle specific information I can give you, they just require that your enviroment be stable and suitable--right chemistry, right water flow, right lighting, right tank mates, etc. If they aren't happy, the will roam and burn a lot of energy doing so. They'll weaken and die. If this happens you have to try to make it happy. This is more about experience and intuition than it is about science.

You might get lucky and it could do well, but do pay real close attention to it and google "ritteri" for the next few days. It's a bit irresponsible for an LFS to sell especially sensitive animals except on specific request, IMO. At the very least they could have warned you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2012 1:06 am
(@powers)
Trusted

awesome i even asked him specifics about it 🙁 thats what i get for dealing with who i dont normally deal with

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/03/2012 6:39 am

Share: