Welcome to DFW Marine Aquarium Society. Click here to login or register
Problems, concerns, and ideas about lighting, filtration, and various gadgets.

Aquarium Controller Internet Setup - DDNS & Port Forwarding

Postby opy01 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:49 pm

I am going to attempt to make a guide for port forwarding and DDNS to include several of the more popular routers to help people either get it working or figure out what equipment to buy. I will split everything up into section by brand. I am going to use the newer models of each brand but for the most part they are all the same as far as programming. This guide is only for port forwarding and DDNS. I will not go into the DD-WRT in this thread since it is a more advanced firmware mod and unless you are an advanced user you should not be using it to begin with.

Some ISPs block port 80. You may want to use port 8181 or something else. When accessing your NET from outside your house you would use the domain name you create below with new new port number. For example http://newname.dyndns.or:8181/. If accessing from inside your house use http://192.168.1.25:8181 (use the IP you or your router asigned).

Dynamic DNS Service:
1. Go to http://www.no-ip.com and sign up for a free account
2. Once you register and activate your account via the email they send you can create you new host name
3. From the home page, while logged in, click on the "Your No-IP" link at the top right of the screen
4. Click on the tab that says Hosts/Redirects
5. Click the button that says "Add Host"
6. Type the first part of the host name and then choose the rest from the drop down under the "No-IP Free Domains list
7. You can set the port 80 redirect if you want. It will just send you to your IP/port and show those in the address bar and not show your URL but I don't think it matters.
8. Do not worry about the IP since the updater will take care of that
9. On the left hand side click the link that says "Download Client"
10. Choose your OS, download it then install it
11. Open the client from the start menu and enter your email and password then choose the host name you want forwarded
12. To make sure the client runs each time your system reboots you should copy the shortcut from the "No-IP DUC" folder and paste it in your "startup" folder in the start menu
13. Now go through the steps for your specific router brand.

D-Link DIR-655 (My Router)

Port Forwarding (Virtual Server):
1. On the D-links the first place you need to go is to "Advanced" then "Virtual Server" (the first thing in the Advanced tab).
2. Put in a name like "RKM-NET" followed by the IP address of the NET. It may be in the list of computer names if it got an IP from the router itself.
3. Put the port numbers in to the right of that. The public and private ports are the same.
4. For Protocol just choose "Both".
5. Put a check on the left to enable this rule and hit "Save Settings" at the top.

DDNS: Now to set up your router so you only have to remember your domain name.
1. Go to "Tools" on the top menu then on the left select "Dynamic DNS".
2. Once there Select the Server Address you used such as DynDNS.org then the domain name you created followed by your username and password.

That’s it for the D-link. Now all you do is go to internet explorer and type your domain name and you should be good to go.

Linksys E2100L

Single Port Forwarding: On most Linksys the first 5 entrys are preset, just use the first one that has a blank name. For each entry, complete the following:
1. Enter the appropriate application name such as "RKM-NET".
2. Enter the external and internal port number used by the application, they will be the same number.
3. Select the protocol(s) used for this application, I would choose "Both".
4. Enter the IP address of the computer that should receive the requests.
5. Select Enabled to enable port forwarding.
6. Click "Save Settings".

DDNS: This is under "Setup"->"DDNS"->"DynDNS".
1. Enter your DynDNS.org username, password and host name.
2. Choose "Dynamic" (this should be the default).
3. Select "Update to instantly update your IP address with the server.
4. Click "Save Settings".

That is all for the Linksys.

Netgear WGR614v9

Port Forwarding:
1. Select Port Forwarding/Port Triggering under Advanced in the main menu.
2. Click Add Custom Service.
3. In the Service Name field, enter a descriptive name like "RKM-NET".
4. In the Service Type field, select the protocol, I recommend choosing both TCP and UDP.
5. In the Starting and Ending Port fields, enter the port number (they will be the same).
6. In the Server IP Address field, enter the IP address of your local computer that will provide this service.
7. Click Apply.
8. The service appears in the list in the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering screen.
(You may or may not have to do this next part. I don’t have a Netgear so I am not sure. If it shows in the port forwarding list then you do not.)
9. Select Port Forwarding/Port Triggering under Advanced in the main menu.
10. From the Service Name list, select the service that you will host on your network (the one you created from above).
11. In the corresponding Server IP Address box, enter the last digit of the IP address of your local computer that will provide this service.
12. Click Add. The service appears in the list in the screen.

DDNS:
1. From the main menu of the browser interface, under Advanced, select Dynamic DNS to display the Dynamic DNS screen.
2. Select the Use a Dynamic DNS Service check box.
3. Select the name of your Dynamic DNS service provider.
4. Type the host name (or domain name) that your Dynamic DNS service provider gave you.
5. Type the user name for your Dynamic DNS account. This is the name that you use to log in to your account, not your host name.
6. Type the password (or key) for your Dynamic DNS account.
7. Click Apply to save your configuration.

That’s all for the Netgear.

Netopia 2200 Series
This is a more advanced system and typical users will not be using Netopia. I will not go into much detail but I will give the basics.

Port Forwarding (Pinholes):
1. Click on Configure in the upper Menu bar.
2. Click on Advanced.
3. Under the NAT heading in the Network Configuration box, click on the Pinhole selection.
4. Click on the Add button.
5. In the Pinhole Entry box, enter the parameters for your pinhole.
6. Click on Submit to save the changes.
7. Click on the Add More Pinholes link.
8. This takes you back to the Pinholes "menu" screen.

DDNS: Dynamic DNS Settings
These commands are supported beginning with Firmware Version 7.4.2.
Dynamic DNS support allows you to use the free services of http://www.dyndns.org. Dynamic DNS automatically directs any public Internet request for your computer's name to your current dynamically-assigned IP address. This allows you to get to the IP address assigned to your Gateway, even though your actual IP address may change as a result of a PPPoE connection to the Internet.

CONFIG Commands
set dynamic-dns option [ off | dyndns.org ]
set dynamic-dns ddns-host-name myhostname.dyndns.org
set dynamic-dns ddns-user-name myusername
set dynamic-dns ddns-user-password myuserpassword

Enables or disables dynamic DNS services. The default is off. If you specify dyndns.org, you must supply your hostname, username for the service, and password. Because different dynamic DNS vendors use different proprietary protocols, currently only http://www.dyndns.org is supported.

Helpfull links:

Find your public (outside) IP address:
http://www.ipchicken.com

DynDns updater service for the PC:
http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Here are two helpfull link provided by delamarrr. Thanks

Here is a link to test your port forwarding:
http://canyouseeme.org/

Here is a link to find your specific router:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... rindex.htm
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other!
Premium
Premium

Advertisement

Re: Port Forwarding and DDNS for Dummies

Postby Wes on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

[smilie=clapping.gif]
Wes Parton

210G Mixed Reef Tank with a 75G sump started 7/2009
125, 100, 90, 55, 40, 33, 28, 8, and 3G tanks retired and gone
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 pm

[smilie=lol.gif] I put this together for the Digital Aquatics site a while back since everyone was constantly posting about it. I've only had to remote into a couple of peoples systems to help out and those were Verizon routers that wouldn't port forward properly. In fact the only way we got it working on them was to put a second router inside the network and make a DMZ to the second router and do port forwarding from there. I hope this helps people here too.
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other!
Premium
Premium

Postby joelq on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Sticky! :-)
90G RR, 130 lbs Fiji LR and 70 lbs LS, two AI Vega Colors, AC3, Reef Octopus Extreme Skimmer, custom-built 29G Sump/Refugium with LR and Chaeto.
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Washington said he would sticky it but I think he already took off for the weekend [smilie=rofl.gif]
Premium
Premium

Re: Aquarium Controller Internet Setup - DDNS & Port Forward

Postby Wes on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:28 pm

done...updated your title a bit too, hope ya dont mind
Wes Parton

210G Mixed Reef Tank with a 75G sump started 7/2009
125, 100, 90, 55, 40, 33, 28, 8, and 3G tanks retired and gone
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Sweet, thanks! The new title is probably a bit more appropriate here lol. I like it.
Premium
Premium

Postby Shmoopy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:10 pm

We are very lucky to have opy, he helped me set up my reefkeeper net module through DAs website and by talking i found out that he was not only in dfw but in the club as well. He spent several hours remotely running my computer to make things work right. Thanks again! By the way opy i just got my alc in the mail today so expect a cry fro help soon [smilie=wink.gif]
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 pm

I'll be waiting for your txt/pm/call/screem lol. Let me know if you need help [smilie=wink.gif]
Premium
Premium

Postby Josh on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 am

Opy, I didn't know we had a guru on this. I have a consistent problem with my port forwarding/DDNS.

First a little background. I used an old linksys wireless router (WRT54G) that I imaged to use as an adapter using dd-wrt firmware that hooks up to my RK. That provides a signal to my ATT U-verse router. And I've released the port to get the information sent outside my home network. So everything works great, but only once. After I've went to the setup or used the port forwarded address one time, it doesn't work again. That is, until I unplug the RK from the linksys, then I get one more time to access it. After that time, again frozen and won't load up. Maybe I can explain this better but it's hard. The same things happens if I'm on the network trying to access it, after that one time, I can't access it anymore.

I've looked up this problem and people have had it before but there isn't a solution that seemed to work for me.

Any ideas?
Josh - Shall my old nickname RIP

220G Mixed Reef | Reef Keeper Lite
29G Biocube | Hospital/Quarantine Tank

80G Retired
Former Member
Former Member

Postby opy01 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 am

Do you have a static IP on your NET? If you do, make sure it is outside your DHCP range.
Premium
Premium

Postby Josh on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:49 am

I'm not exactly sure how I setup the static IP, although I felt that i did. How could I check this. If I setup a static IP, I probably didn't consider if it was outside this range (don't really know what that range is, is it the 1-255 thing?)
Josh - Shall my old nickname RIP

220G Mixed Reef | Reef Keeper Lite
29G Biocube | Hospital/Quarantine Tank

80G Retired
Former Member
Former Member

Postby opy01 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 am

Been away from the computer for a bit. DynDNS no longer offers free domain names to new users. I am now using no-ip.com for my domain name with a dynamic IP. I'll see if I can get a mod to update my first post.

Dynamic DNS Service:
1. Go to http://www.no-ip.com and sign up for a free account
2. Once you register and activate your account via the email they send you can create you new host name
3. From the home page, while logged in, click on the "Your No-IP" link at the top right of the screen
4. Click on the tab that says Hosts/Redirects
5. Click the button that says "Add Host"
6. Type the first part of the host name and then choose the rest from the drop down under the "No-IP Free Domains list
7. You can set the port 80 redirect if you want. It will just send you to your IP/port and show those in the address bar and not show your URL but I don't think it matters.
8. Do not worry about the IP since the updater will take care of that
9. On the left hand side click the link that says "Download Client"
10. Choose your OS, download it then install it
11. Open the client from the start menu and enter your email and password then choose the host name you want forwarded
12. To make sure the client runs each time your system reboots you should copy the shortcut from the "No-IP DUC" folder and paste it in your "startup" folder in the start menu
13. Now go through the steps for your specific router brand.
Premium
Premium

Postby Eckolancer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 am

Dyndns offers a free one still. You have to sign up for an account then cancel and you are left with a free one. Some routers only allow dyndns. On a side not i am using the fios router only and was able to set up port forwarding just fine. As far as the guy that keeps loosing connection. Make sure you have static route selected in your apex and dhcp turned off. Then do a reboot of the apex. This will update your settings with your router. Might even have to go into the router and release the wireless bridge you are using before rebooting the apex.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Swimming with the sharks

LED Build

Tank Build

Tanks retired and gone:
10, 55, 75, 90, 37, 10, 90, 92, 105
Premium
Premium

Postby Hook'em2006 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:02 pm

This all sounds pretty confusing. Can anyone offer any help?
105 DSA - SPS Dominant Mixed Reef
100gal Cube Reef
20L Softies and Zoas
75gal Reef - Retired
28gal Nano Cube Reef - Retired
12gal Nano Cube Reef- Retired
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:41 am

Sorry, I thought I was subscribed to this thread. If you PM me I can try to help.

Burbarry,
in the past I've tried to set up Fios routers but they didn't want to work too well. They seem to have updated their firmware or hardware to actually work properly lol. On multiple occasions I've ended up having to set up a DMZ then set up a router on the inside but I just set one up last month and it worked perfect without a second router.
Premium
Premium

Postby K_Red_Raider on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks for putting this up!

One question...I have done all of this but when it asks for my home computer I'm not sure what to put down. We don't have a "home" computer all that we have are laptops which we take to work every day. So what do I do with that? Also, my router is a SMC brand from Suddenlink.

Thanks Again!! [smilie=rofl.gif]
Kevin
MACNA 2014 Bound!!!

120 SPS dominated
30 Zoa dominated

Postby opy01 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am

What is asking for your "home computer"?
Premium
Premium

Postby K_Red_Raider on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm

O sorry. When I am entering in all of the ip addresses in the advanced area (on my router) it asks for my home computer ip address but we only use laptops which we take to work every day so what am I suppose to use for that
MACNA 2014 Bound!!!

120 SPS dominated
30 Zoa dominated

Postby opy01 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:25 pm

I dont know why it would ask for a home computer IP. What router is it and what are you trying to do in the router when it asks for that info.
Premium
Premium

Postby K_Red_Raider on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 pm

It is a SMC Brand from Suddenlink. It does not actually ask for it but there is a spot for it when I am doing the port forwarding. I was at the point under your link sys brand explanation #4 (enter the IP address of the computer that should receive the requests). I realize they are different brands but this was the closest that I could find to the SMC Brand router that I have. I have left it blank and entered the rest of the information but when I press the add button it does not show up.
MACNA 2014 Bound!!!

120 SPS dominated
30 Zoa dominated

Postby opy01 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Put the IP of the Device you are trying to get to, like a RKM-NET or Apex.
Premium
Premium

Postby K_Red_Raider on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm

makes sense I"ll try it tomorrow when i get home from the fire station. Thanks again! Im sure I will have more questions as I am computer illiterate
MACNA 2014 Bound!!!

120 SPS dominated
30 Zoa dominated

Postby opy01 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Ask away, I'm more than happy to help. [smilie=wink.gif]
Premium
Premium

Postby pjracer on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I just set my Apex up to the router with port forwarding. But i have a problem. I was able to get into it remotly until the ip of the router renewed. What i should i use to remote in with the APEX controller.

I hav e a motorola 2 wire.
See my new build. 265 gallon with alot of custom work.
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=93320
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm

No-ip.com has an updater service that you need to run 24/7 on a computer at your house. That will constantly update no-ip.com when your ip renews.
Premium
Premium

Postby pjracer on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:06 pm

I will try that but i am using opendns.com and they have their own version. for example my router ip is 72.0.0.1 and the internet ip is 108.0.0.1. When the router refreshes it changes the 108 number so does no ip[ net it to a url?
See my new build. 265 gallon with alot of custom work.
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=93320
Premium
Premium

Postby opy01 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 pm

If opendns.com has their own updater then you will need to use that. Just make sure it is running at your house so that is updates your dns service with your home IP when it changes.
Premium
Premium

Postby texreefer on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:41 pm

I really need some help with setting up my apex with verizon fios. The apex will show up on my connections list but I cannot access it from my desktop. The DHCP lease shows EXPIRED. Any help might keep me from drop kicking this router.
- David
Keller/Watauga/North Ft. Worth

40b mixed reef up June 2013
DIY Stand, Reef Breeders Value LED, BeanAnimal Overflow,
29g DIY Sump, Mag 5 Return, SCA-301 Skimmer
Premium
Premium

Postby Hook'em2006 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 am

texreefer wrote:I really need some help with setting up my apex with verizon fios. The apex will show up on my connections list but I cannot access it from my desktop. The DHCP lease shows EXPIRED. Any help might keep me from drop kicking this router.

I know how frustrating this is, I never could figure it out. Neptune systems says they are releasing the new update in November last I heard, I think it's called Fusion, just a little longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
105 DSA - SPS Dominant Mixed Reef
100gal Cube Reef
20L Softies and Zoas
75gal Reef - Retired
28gal Nano Cube Reef - Retired
12gal Nano Cube Reef- Retired
Premium
Premium

Postby kuyatwo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:00 am

Have you posted on Neptune Systems forum ? Might get more help there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Pampee

150 Gallon David Varela Custom Starphire Tank

Sfiligoi xr6, Vertex Alpha Cone 200, 2 x 6105 tunze streams and MP60. Avast K1 Kalk reactor. GEO618 Ca Rx

Postby McReefer on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:18 am

Premium
Premium

Postby Grant on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm

texreefer wrote:I really need some help with setting up my apex with verizon fios. The apex will show up on my connections list but I cannot access it from my desktop. The DHCP lease shows EXPIRED. Any help might keep me from drop kicking this router.

I have my Apex setup with my FIOS router, so maybe I can help. You're trying to access it from your own network, right? I mean your desktop is connected to the same FIOS router as your Apex? Or are you having trouble accessing it from the internet?

Also, is it connected with a cable, or through a wireless adapter?
Premium
Premium

Postby texreefer on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:10 pm

I literally just had the exact same problems you are describing with fios/apex connection. For whatever reason, fios doesn't like to work well with assigning dynamic IP addresses to the apex. So, here's what I did to fix it...

1. Access the router from home computer (my router IP is 192.168.1.1)

2. Enter name and password

3. Click the "Advanced" tab and then "Yes" to proceed

4. Down towards the bottom right of that page click "IP Address Distribution"

5. On the next page you need to click the PENCIL under "Action" that corresponds to the network you are using. It looks like this.

IP Address Distribution
Name Service Subnet Mask Dynamic IP Range Action
Network (Home/Office) DHCP Server 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.11 - 192.168.1.254 ( X ) <---- The pencil is right here.

6. Here is where you can set up exactly how your router assigns IP addresses. I left 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.10 outside this DHCP so that I could set a few static IPs and it wouldn't conflict with any dynamic IP assignment.

DHCP Settings for Network (Home/Office)
Service
IP Address Distribution: Change to "DHCP SERVER"
DHCP Server
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.11
End IP Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
WINS Server: 0.0.0.0
Lease Time in Minutes: 1440
( X ) Provide Host Name If Not Specified by Client <--- Check this box

THEN CLICK APPLY

7. On the apex controller to to System->Net Setup, then change the DHCP to "OFF" and set the IP address to an address that isn't currently assigned in your network. This will be one of the 192.168.1.1-10 that we set aside for static IPs - it doesn't matter what number between 1-10 you use as long as its free. I used 192.168.1.3

8. Reset the Apex (unplug and plug back in)

9. Back to the computer, still accessing your router. Go to the "My Networks" tab and you should be able to find the apex connection listed. Should be something like:
Name: apex
Type: Unknown
Connection: Ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
IP Address Source: Static
MAC Address:
Multicast Traffic: Denied
Multicast Channels: Unlimited

10. Just to the right of that apex connection, click "enable application", this brings you to the Port Forwarding page. Then click "new entry"

11. Type your APEX IP into the "Local Host" box (again, I used 192.168.1.3)

12. In the Protocols drop-down menu click "User Defined"

13. Enter something like "ApexNet" in the service name (makes little difference what you name it) then click "new server ports" (takes you to the Edit Service Server Ports page)

14. Enter:
Protocols - TCP
Source Ports - ANY
Destination Ports - Single - 80
Click OK, then click OK again on the "Edit Service" page.

15. You should be back on the "Edit Port Forwarding Rule" page. Set the "Forward to Port" to "SPECIFY" - 80 and click OK at the bottom.

16. Now on the Port Forwarding page it should show:
Local Host Local Address Network Address Public IP Address Protocols Status
192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 Any Any ApexNet - TCP Any -> 80 Active
If the Status is UNRESOLVED, click "Resolve Now" at the bottom.
Click OK.

17. "Reset" your Fios router by unplugging it's power cord and plugging it back in.

18. Now when you type the Apex IP address (192.168.1.3 for me) into your web browser, it should take you to the APEX Controller.
The standard username is ADMIN and password 1234
- David
Keller/Watauga/North Ft. Worth

40b mixed reef up June 2013
DIY Stand, Reef Breeders Value LED, BeanAnimal Overflow,
29g DIY Sump, Mag 5 Return, SCA-301 Skimmer
Premium
Premium