Welcome to DFW Marine Aquarium Society. Click here to login or register
Area for discussion of any topics.
Forum rules
Comments and suggestions are always welcome, but we ask that posters keep their comments positive and constructive. Negative threads, post, or attacks will be removed from view and reviewed by the staff. If a member continues to be disruptive, argumentative, or repeatedly ignores the forum rules, they can be suspended or banned.
These rules apply to ALL DFWMAS Forums

Top 7 Reasons to Join an Aquarium Club

Postby Jeff on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Linked with permission of the author and Marine Depot.

No reefs at home - everything''s at the babysitter''s.
Former Member
Former Member

Advertisement

Re: Top 7 Reasons to Join an Aquarium Club

Postby Reefmike on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 am

bumped and stickied.
Mike Nance
Former Member
Former Member

Postby ChloroPhil on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:34 am

Uh...I can get all that from forums, aquabid, and craigslist. Why should I join this group? :twisted: :wink:

The author hit the nail on the head with that article. I'm heavily involved in the aquatic plant community and our main US + international organization (AGA) and couldn't agree more with the benefits of having a robust local club to keep the hobby alive at the local level. Without strong and involving clubs for people to interact with this hobby's going to go sterile pretty quick.

Cheers,
Phil
Former Member
Former Member

Postby ReefNut2010 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 am

I personally do not think this hobby is going to go sterile. First and foremost you need to have an interest in it. Then you need to educate yourself with regards to what you intend to keep. Clubs are great for meeting others with your same interests, sharing info and other things, and defenitely with providing help when most needed ( such as when encountering problems we don't undersand ). I think the biggest enemy to this hobby is the price tag it carries. Even when buying things second hand, it quickly becomes very expensive!
Former Member
Former Member

Postby Saltpro on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:35 pm

ReefNut2010 wrote:I personally do not think this hobby is going to go sterile. First and foremost you need to have an interest in it. Then you need to educate yourself with regards to what you intend to keep. Clubs are great for meeting others with your same interests, sharing info and other things, and defenitely with providing help when most needed ( such as when encountering problems we don't undersand ). I think the biggest enemy to this hobby is the price tag it carries. Even when buying things second hand, it quickly becomes very expensive!

Excellent post agreed
Michael
75 gallon mixed reef
Led lighting
Octopus 160 extreme skimmer
Reef Crystal's Salt

Wichita Falls,TX Aquarium Group
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewforum.php?f=140
Former Member
Former Member

Postby RyTek on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Ya this hobby nearly needs a rehab. My Dad and I can't stay away from getting just "one more frag" lol.

Great post though on the 7 reasons to join. (says the guy who is still a guest) (won't be by weeks end;)

Postby dwittster on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:16 pm

RyTek wrote:Ya this hobby nearly needs a rehab. My Dad and I can't stay away from getting just "one more frag" lol.

Great post though on the 7 reasons to join. (says the guy who is still a guest) (won't be by weeks end;)

Which week is the question... LOL
Premium
Premium

Postby DennisF on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:14 am

Think of it as an investment that will retun a lot more than the stock market is now. [smilie=clapping.gif]
Board of Directors
Board of Directors

Postby Mike on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 am

DennisF wrote:Think of it as an investment that will retun a lot more than the stock market is now. [smilie=clapping.gif]

I've only recently joined by have already met a few people in person and received tons of great advice. Best $20 I ever spent and an absolute bargain in my book.

As to the above, I saw a funny tweet that I have modified slightly:

"Yesterday, I felt a great disturbance in my 401K. As if thousands of dollars screamed in fear and were suddenly silenced"
Board of Directors
Board of Directors